This information was updated on 7th August 2020
Borders are currently closed.
Everyone must maintain a distance of six feet from another person, must face masks and mouth coverings in public places and office buildings, shops are open, restaurants are open for reservation only, maximum of 10 guests from the same party, social events discouraged – maximum of 40 people in attendance at a gathering.
Plans to reopen to international tourism
- There will be a phased approach to tourism reopening and the plan will change depending on infection rate and as they continue to monitor the situation
- Phase one – Opened on 15th May for domestic travel
- Phase two – In June, began repatriation for Belizean crew members on cruise lines
- National guidelines that forms overarching protocols for the industry have been developed
- Everyone will need to download Belize health app before boarding the flight but all travellers will be encouraged to download the app at the point of booking and complete details on their health etc
- A QR code will be sent to the passenger and used for contact tracing whilst in the destination
- Travellers will have the option of taking a PCR test 72 hours ahead of arrival. This is at their own cost and will mean that checks on the other side are quicker
- On arrival – everyone must adhere to social distancing, health screening and wearing face masks in public spaces
- Arrivals will disembark and process to health screening, temperature checks and processing of information with their ID from the QR code that will already be on the app
- There will be a ‘corridor’ approach to the airport so travellers will only walk in areas that are absolutely necessary whilst in the airport
- Those with a negative test result will get a certification from test 72 hours ahead of travel and go to fast track line to exit
- Those unable to provide a negative PCR test will need to take a test on arrival. This will be at their own cost. If there is a positive result, they will need to self-quarantine for 14-days at their own expense in the destination
- Those who arrive with a negative result will be allowed entry but can be randomly selected for test on arrival to the airport
- In the arrival hall, place markers will be laid out in the immigration line, luggage will be sanitised after being removed from the plane
- In addition to health and safety measures for arriving passengers, PGIA will implement new cleaning protocols to ensure high standards of cleanliness of proper hygiene will be implemented throughout the airport:
- Cleaning and sanitising especially in high touch areas
- Barriers and sneeze guards will be put in between passengers and staff
- Hand sanitising stations throughout
- Only ticketed passengers to enter the airport
- Mandatory wearing of masks everywhere in the airport
Flights from the UK
- Delta – confirmed that they will be ready to fly when Belize are ready to accept travellers
- United – confirmed that they will be ready when Belize opens
- American Airlines – will run flights from 18th August
What Covid 19-related safety measures can travellers expect?
Belize announce Tourism Gold Standard Recognition Programme
Enhanced health and safety protocols for hotels are also in place, which serve as the foundation for the destination’s newest “Tourism Gold Standard” Recognition Programme for hotels, restaurants and tour operators. This nine-point programme seeks to enhance the tourism industry’s health and safety standards by adapting new behaviours and procedures to ensure both employees and travellers are confident in the cleanliness and safety of Belize’s tourism product. Some of these new standards include:
- Social distancing and the use of face masks while in public spaces
- Online check-in/out, contactless payment systems, and automated ordering/booking systems
- Hand sanitising stations across the property
- Enhanced room cleaning and increase sanitisation of public spaces and high touch surfaces
- Daily health checks for guests and employees
- Designated ‘Isolation/Quarantine rooms’ for suspected Covid-19 cases and action plans for handling suspected employees or guests
Tours, archaeological sites and national parks
- New capacity restrictions for all tourism sites to ensure social distancing can be maintained
- Smaller tour groups to provide a more intimate tour experience
- Sites and parks to manage tours by appointment to limit the number of persons on site
- Enhanced sanitisation of tour equipment
- Although limited in scope, this phased approach allows for the industry to re-open responsibly, to test new entry protocols, and to allow for adjustments as necessary to ensure the wellbeing of Belizeans and visitors. As the country re-opens for travel, Belize wants to assure travellers and residents that hotels and restaurants will be cleaner and safer than ever before.
The Travel Journey
ravellers to Belize will be comforted to know that based on proper management and containment efforts applied during the height of the pandemic, Belize was able to enjoy over 50 days of a Covid-19 free environment. Ongoing efforts will offer holiday opportunities with minimal risk of contracting Covid-19 while in Belize. In addition, with Belize having such low population density and being just a short flight away from most major US cities, the destination is well poised for post-Covid-19 travel.
All travellers to Belize will be required to adhere to health and safety measures implemented by the Government of Belize (GOB) including social distancing, hand sanitisation, proper hygiene and the wearing of face masks in public spaces.
- All passengers travelling to Belize will be required to download the Belize Health App and complete the required information prior to boarding the flight to Belize. A QR code with a unique ID number will be returned to the passenger and will be used for contact tracing while in Belize.
- Only PCR tests done abroad for travellers entering as “tourists” will be accepted; if a tourist is unable to obtain a negative PCR before traveling to Belize, a double rapid test will be administered upon arrival.
- As a part of the pre-travel process, the passenger should start by booking their flight and hotel. Opening of hotels will be in a phased approach, and the first grouping of hotels that will be allowed to open include properties that:
- Have achieved the Tourism Gold Standard Certificate of Recognition
- Provide full service to guests. This means that these hotels are able to provide all amenities, so as to contain the guest on the property, and minimise opportunities for guest interaction within the local community. These amenities include having transportation to offer pick-up/drop-off services from the airport; access to a restaurant on property; have a pool or access to beach front; and be able to provide isolated tours, limited to guests of the property only.
Passengers are only permitted to book Gold Standard approved hotels in this phase of reopening. A list of the Gold Standard approved hotels will be available at www.travelbelize.org in the coming weeks.
- Passengers that provide certification of a negative test result from a Covid-19 PCR test done within 72 hours of travel, will be allowed immediate entry into Belize via a ‘fast track’ lane
- Passengers that do not provide a negative Covid-19 test, must test upon arrival in Belize, at the passenger’s expense. A negative test result will allow entry into Belize
- Passengers who test positive for Covid-19 at the Belize International Airport will be placed in mandatory quarantine for a minimum period of fourteen (14) days at the passenger’s expense
All visitors to Belize will be required to:
- Wear a mask during the entire landing, deplaning and arrival process, and while inside the airport
- Undergo temperature checks using non-contact digital infrared thermometers or Thermal Imaging Cameras
- Adhere to social distancing guidelines in all queues for health checks, immigration and customs inspections
- Follow and respond to the comprehensive, pro-active, contact tracing guidelines to facilitate appropriate and rapid response from health officials, should Covid-19 symptoms develop
- Utilise the sanitising stations to sanitise hands frequently and facilitate other health screening requirements on arrival
At the Airport
- The Philip Goldson International Airport (PGIA) has implemented enhanced cleaning and sanitisation protocols. These include:
- Installation of barriers and sneeze guards between passengers and Immigration & Customs officers
- Hand sanitising stations throughout the terminal building to assist with proper hand hygiene
- Floor markers placed six-feet apart to promote social distancing and assist passengers in the queuing process
- Sanitization of passenger luggage prior to transfer into the terminal building
- Residents and visitors departing from Belize will also see new enhanced health and safety measures implemented. Some of these new measures include:
- Limiting entry into the terminal building to only ticketed passengers
- Mandatory use of face masks at all times while in the terminal building;
- Safety barriers installed at check-in counters and the Immigration area
- Social distancing to protect passengers
For the latest COVID-19 information about Belize, CLICK HERE.
Belize Destination Update - 15th July 2020
Freddie Softley, Senior Account Manager
Email Address: Freddie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: 07716 307 579